Monday, March 4, 2013

Welcome to the pack Rayzr

Yesterday, I picked up my first foster. His name is Rayzr and he is the sweetest husky I have ever met. He is between the age of 3 and 5. There was not a lot of history on him, but the little bit that was known made me positive he would fit in well in the home, even though he has a lot less energy then Sid. Though, I haven't met many dogs with Sid's energy level. The two do seem to be balancing each other out quite nicely.

The day started with heading to an event that Husky Haven has where people can come out and meet adoptable huskies. We showed up mid way through the event so we could get him use to us and learn a bit about him. We stayed close to the event end so he could get as much exposure as possible for the day.

Our first meeting
From the first meeting, it was pretty obvious that all he wanted to do was sit and be loved. There is plenty of that to go around in the house for any of our furry friends. He is very docile, but I was still nervous about him meeting Sid for the first time as well as the cats. I opted to leave Sid at home for the pick up, to try and make things a bit easier for Rayzr.

While all of the supplies can be provided, after I got the call that I would be getting him this weekend, I started setting up a foster kit. There are a few things I knew Sid probably wouldn't want to share, toy wise, so I wanted to make sure there were two in the house to avoid problems. I already had a second crate that I set up. I still wanted to pick up a few odds and ends supply wise. Nothing major. But things to make the adjustment on Rayzr and future fosters easier, at least I hope. We picked both dogs up a bone for later in the week. I want to make sure there is no real resource aggression going on before I put these out for the two. If there is going to be problems with the bones, then I can separate the dogs or make them night time toys for when they are in their crates.

Laying in the lamp stand
Rayzr doesn't really need to be crated as he really doesn't get into much. He is trying to crawl into little cubby holes in the house and has explored the trash, though not getting into it. I am opting to continue to crate him for a few reasons. First being, Sid is crated and I think if we leave Rayzr out at night and crate Sid, it could cause problems. Second, I don't want him getting hurt trying to crawl into a cubby hole unattended if he happens to knock something over. He is still looking for what he considers his safe space. I think the crate helps him feel like he does have a safe space as well. And third, while there doesn't seem to be an issue with the cats, I would prefer one not arise when everyone is sleeping or not home.

Sid and Rayzr introducing themselves
After we picked him up, we brought him home to meet Sid and the cats. We were planning on doing the introductions slow, but Rayzr just kind of dove in. We kept him leashed for the initial introductions. Sid and Rayzr sniffed each other, while the cats kept their distance. Lolita decided to go hide in her favorite room while Simon stayed in the living room watching. Rayzr ignored Simon, and still does ignore both of the cats. When we removed the leash, they continued to sniff and circle at each other, with no growling or signs of aggression. Everything went very smooth, more then I was expecting and more then I could have asked for.


After Rayzr explored the home for a bit, we let him out back with Sid to use the yard. I should explain that the main way I let the dogs in and out, is through the pool cage. There is a dog door installed in the pool cage so they can come and go from the grassy area as they want to. The pool cage has an insulated roof on part of it with ceiling fans to keep on during the summer. On the faucet, a spicket that a dog can get a drink out of at any time is attached. So there is plenty of fresh water for play time. And during the summer if the animals want to sit out while I'm in the pool, there is plenty of creature comforts of shading and a nice breeze. The pool does not have a liner, so I don't mind if the dogs would want to swim during good weather. Sid isn't a pool dog, he prefers the beach. I was nervous that Rayzr was going to go right for the pool on the first time through the pool cage, but he didn't. He did however, not see the screen and ran into it. I think every dog that has been in this house since the cage was put up has done that. We let Sid show him where the dog door is located, and he caught on within a couple of minutes. He can now come and go as he pleases. We have cameras up in the backyard, which allows me to keep an eye on the dogs if they want to stay out for a little longer and play. He has already picked up on the bell that is on the front door to alert us when he wants to go outside. Right now, he will not let us lead him to the door or follow us there unless if we put the leash on him. When he comes in, he can get distracted about coming back to the area in the house set up for the dogs. The first time he came in, he ran into the room where Lolita was hiding and jumped right in the bed. He didn't see Lolita, and almost landed on her. She hissed and ran away. He ignored her. I think it's safe to say that he is good with cats.

Rayzr and Sid relaxing

One thing that is quite amusing about the two dogs together, is how similar they look. With a quick glance, or from a distance, it's pretty easy to get them confused. Looking directly at them, it is also easy to tell them apart. Sid seems to love having a playmate. He is use to being a spoiled only child though, so is still adjusting to the sharing. He tends to pout if Rayzr is using a toy that Sid likes or laying where Sid wants to lay. Separate food bowls makes feeding time easy, however, they do like to swap bowls mid eating. It's almost as if they want to see that they both have the same thing. If they don't fight, I will let them take the lead on that.

Outside, there is really no problem. He seems to like to throw dirt around, but not dig the giant holes like Sid does. They both like to run with each other. They do sing together, both inside and out. I don't know if my neighbors find it as beautiful as I do, so if they are singing outside, I do go out and either quiet them down or bring them in, instead of letting it go on too long. Usually, once they come in, they settle down and go to sleep pretty quickly.

Sid is having more trouble sharing me then his toys though. When Rayzr comes to me for attention, Sid comes and walks in between us and tries to nudge Rayzr away. Rayzr doesn't fight him, but still stays near me for attention. Sid has never done this before when he has been around other dogs at dog parks and other dog friendly events, but I guess in his house, it can be a little different. I understand that this is a learning process for him as well. I expect him to keep getting better.

I am grateful that I do have experience integrating new dogs into the mix though. It makes understanding what they are doing a lot easier. I am even more grateful there isn't any real problems though. Sid only had one incident since we brought Rayzr in, which was peeing on the floor. I was kind of expecting that, as my other male dog I had awhile ago would often mark territory inside the house whenever my mom brought her male dog when she came to visit.

Speaking of visits, the family stopped by at different times to meet him. He greeted everyone with love. He was not skittish at all.

Tomorrow if the weather is warmer then it's been, Rayzr will be getting a bath. Both dogs will get a brush out as well. I tried to give him a bit of time to adjust before adding grooming into the mix. I will also be adding weekly furminator sessions to the mix when needed in addition to normal brush outs. I want to show off just how handsome this boy really is.

Dog park visits are also planned, and there are some dog friendly events coming up that I would normally take Sid to, so I will be bringing both of them along. The rescue is actually going to be at some of these events so we can hang out with them so he is able to meet as many people as possible.

As the second night comes to an end, they are resting, and I will use the quiet time to do the same. It is becoming much easier to relax as each hour passes and Rayzr gets better adjusted to being here. If someone is looking for a calm husky who thinks that he is a lap dog and wants non stop petting and kisses, they will not find a better match. He deserves nothing less then a home with a lot of love and humans who will spoil him.

Good night from Rayzr


3 comments:

  1. Such a nice post and pup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! Keep up the writing, NiKki! And Ill see you at the next event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and the furbabies are planning on the Clearwater and Largo events.

    ReplyDelete